Tuesday 10 June 2014

How Creative Beading Can Help Relieve Symptoms of Anxiety and Depression Caused by Chronic Illness

Carrying on the theme, looking at the therapeutic benefits of beading and how it relieves anxiety and depression. I want to share  the story of my friend Dawn Walker who is  currently  living with an illness  that manifests itself with constant chronic pain.

I interviewed  Dawn and asked her a  few questions about how she copes with her illness and discussed  how jewellery making helps her therapeutically. I hope her answers will help others who are undergoing  challenging times will be encouraged by this blog  post with the view  that there is light at the end of tunnel  through creativity.


Can you tell me a little about your illness and how it impacts on your health

I have chronic pelvic pain which hasn't been given a conclusive diagnosis. I am in constant acute pain 24/7 and only get varying levels of relief from a number of opiates and strong painkillers, ranging from mild to moderate. On a scale of 1 - 10 my days go from a 6/7 which takes a lot from myself for it to be just bearable, but the pain increases in waves, which literally wash over me. When the pain worsens I struggle to keep control.

My illness has affected every part of my life, there are weeks where I simply cannot get out of bed because of the pain and have to remain in my bedroom all day ( the worst part of that is all the days I've missed spending time with my 2 two sons).

Physically, I find it hard to walk and most days I can only walk a few feet. There are times where I won't leave the house for weeks on end.   Most nights I don't sleep, if I'm lucky I may get one full night of sleep a week then maybe a few hours a few hours but more often than not I will not sleep a wink.

I think the most upsetting thing is the way all the medication I  take  affects my memory, I've gone from intelligent, articulate to someone who can't hold a sentence, I often forget the simplest of words. I have violent limb spasms, I've scolded myself countless times.
I'm unable to do any housework, I can't cook a family meal unaided as I can't bend to the oven. 

I also have Fowlers Syndrome, whereby I can no longer empty my bladder spontaneously and, now have to self-catheterise, which is horrible believe me.

Emotionally, my illness has driven me to the lowest of lows, because people can't see anything physical. I became suicidal and the last 6 months have been very challenging for me. I've battled my demons and every day was a struggle


What made you decide to turn to jewellery making

I'd saw a bracelet on eBay and I commented to fiancé that I could make a similar bracelet with my own personal touches, so I ordered some jewellery making supplies and  a few days a later a couple of small  jiffy envelopes arrived with my supplies. That very day I sat down and started making jewellery. Initially I used a lot of upcycled components from my own jewellery collection.

Up until that day my life was at all time low and I was really struggling with thoughts of self harm but  jewellery making served as a new outlet for me  and  had a huge impact on my life, I haven't looked back.

 
Beautiful Wire Wrap Bracelet created and designed by Dawn Walker


How has jewellery making helped you personally

Jewellery making for me has given me so much, I've found solace in my jewellery making. I've made friends through Facebook I’ve met some amazing people too.

I've found a new purpose in life and even though my daily life is still a struggle, when I sit down and my hands start making something that I'd pictured in my mind, I can lose myself in what I'm doing. It helps quieten my mind and helps me focus when my pain often becomes so bad that I lose control and panic.  And I know that making jewellery is what I really want to do, to learn, I desperately want to become skilled jewellery maker. I know that's where my journey is to be, I've thoroughly enjoyed it thus far and know the road ahead is going to be an exciting one.

Gorgeous Beaded Bracelet by Dawn Walker 



I want to thank Dawn for her candid and heartfelt answers. 



Below are  a few of Dawn’s exquisite jewellery designs



Crystal and Wire Wrap Bracelet by Dawn Walker




Exquisite Wire Wrap Pendant Necklace created and designed by Dawn Walker


5 comments:

  1. Such lovely jewellery. My mum has chronic pain and she finds concentrating on something makes her mind wander and she is able to think of what she's doing rather than the pain. Popping over from www.mummy2monkeys.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michelle, Dawn has been an incredible inspiration and she's coping well.

      Delete
  2. Both my daughter and I have chronic disabling illnesses and we find crafting, together or individually, helpful, though we aren't always up to it. Never tried making jewellery. Those pieces are lovely, very inspiring. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Heather, give it a try, jewellery making really does lower anxiety, it's extremly cathartic!

      Delete
    2. Thank you Heather, making jewellery has had a huge impact on my life already. I'm very new to jewellery making I just hope one day I will start to sell my jewellery and that it is jewellery people want to wear xx
      Much love & kindest wishes to you and your daughter xx

      Delete